First of all, what is a phthalate? Simply, phthalates are a family of chemicals generally added to plastics during manufacture to make them more elastic. If you're interested in the details, Wikipedia has more info.
Where they are found?
- Air fresheners
- Dish soap
- Any cleaning product with "fragrance" on the label has a high possibility of containing phthalates.
- Linked to endocrine disruption
- High phthalates in men cause reduced sperm count
- Can be absorbed both through the skin and by inhalation
- Links with type 2 diabetes
How to help
- Avoid plug-in room fragrances and aerosol fragrance sprays
- Avoid soaps and cleaning products with “fragrance” on the label
- Use only essential oils or scent free natural cleaning products